Senior Product Manager II - Machine Learning & Fraud
Software Engineering, Accounting & Finance, Product
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2023
Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. We empower people around the globe to reach services they love and need simply, speedily and safely – whether they’re renting a car or opening a bank account or completing a high-value transaction where identity is key. We built a full-service suite of AI-powered identity verification solutions with fairness and inclusiveness at their core, and were awarded ‘Outstanding Leader in Accessibility’ and ‘Best Innovation in Algorithmic Bias Mitigation’ awards at CogX.
Onfido is an established pre-IPO technology company with a prominent position in the global marketplace that has been repeatedly recognized for excellence in performance and innovation. In 2021 we were awarded ‘Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Hot Company’ by CyberDefense Global Infosec Awards, ‘Fraud Prevention Innovation of the Year’ at the CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards, and named to the CB Insights Fintech 250 for the fourth year running. We've received over $200 million in funding from investors including TPG Growth, Microsoft, and Salesforce to achieve our vision. We partner with thousands of businesses to help millions access services every week – from billion dollar institutions to hypergrowth unicorns. We support identities from 195 countries, and 2,500+ document types. Our recent growth is fuelled by continued increasing demand in the United States – where we’ve grown in year-over-year sales by 264% – as more enterprise organisations accelerate their digital transformation plans with Onfido.
Our goal is to work together to promote and celebrate an inclusive and diverse community. Collectively, all Onfidoers are committed to creating an environment where everyone can be themselves, and where differences are celebrated. We encourage people from all backgrounds and cultures to come together to solve some of the world's most interesting problems.
Why we think you’ll want to join us :
- Universal Problem: You’ll be working on an urgent and current problem impacting virtually everyone, enabling digital access, with just your identity document and your selfie. We are helping millions of people connect to the services they need and want. Our mission is to make digital identity simple for everyone.
- Meaningful and impactful work: You’ll have a direct impact in stopping terrorist financing, money laundering, scammers and professional fraud rings worldwide. Learn more about or research on identity fraud.
- Hot and Responsible Tech: You’ll be developing cutting edge proprietary identity proofing and fraud detection technology, working directly with machine learning scientists, engineers, product analytics, document fraud specialists and privacy and legal experts. Learn more about our work with the ICO on algorithmic bias.
- Hard and complex problems: Verifying the authenticity of an identity document is an exceptionally difficult technical task. Factor in that there are over 195 countries in the world, each issuing over 4 document types (passport, identity card, visa, driver licence, …), each document has multiple versions in circulation and each version has different security features to be checked. If you love difficult problems, this is the place for you.
- Autonomy: Product Management is represented at the highest levels at Onfido with our Chief Product Officer. We have clear company goals and overall product strategy, while you’ll have a very high degree of autonomy to set the strategy for document fraud detection, collaborating closely with cross-functional leaders.
- Commitment to Mental Health: We strive to create an open environment where mental health is supported, and people can bring their full selves to work. This is reflected in our values and benefits (including Sanctus mental health coaching).
About the team:
- The document line of business’ mission is to offer a global, highly-automated, identity document verification platform with industry-leading performance, helping customers onboard more users, while meeting regulations and catching fraud.
- The document line of business has a team of 5 product managers, ranging from Associate to Staff PMs. We are a diverse and highly collaborative team, we work on problems together from different points of view. We dedicate specific time to hone our product management craft.
- You will own the problem of catching identity document fraud: detecting counterfeits and forgeries, both digitally and physically.
- You’ll work across two cross-functional teams whose missions are to catch identity document fraud, though they approach the problem with different techniques. The Document Visual Fraud Team focuses on computer vision techniques to catch visual anomalies on individual documents. The Document Metadata Fraud Team focuses on data science and rules based techniques to catch fraud at scale, including fraud perpetrated across documents by fraud rings.
- While your teams own identity document fraud detection, you’ll collaborate closely with other product teams to craft intuitive end user and client experiences guided by User Centered Design principles.
- Both teams are geographically distributed and fully cross-functional. Featuring software engineers, machine learning scientists, data analysts, and product management. The teams are spread across Europe, including London, Paris, Berlin and Lisbon. We gather in our respective local offices for socials and hybrid working, depending on each person’s preference.
What you’ll be doing:
- Immerse yourself in the world of our customers, talk to them, understand the context of our target use cases. You will lead discovery of identity fraud problems worth solving through document fraud detection technology.
- Become an expert in the Document Proofing Industry, its latest developments and standards.
- Having developed a deep understanding of our customers, the market, and the fraud landscape you will develop a differentiated product vision, strategy and roadmap for document fraud detection. You will also influence and contribute to the Document Line of Business strategy.
- Collaborate with Machine Learning Scientists, Product Analytics and Engineers to understand and solve valuable customer and end user problems.
- Define clear success metrics for your initiatives and measure their outcomes.
- Work closely with our Support team to help clients react and protect themselves against spikes in fraud, and coordinated fraud attacks by fraud rings. Collaborating cross-functionally to iterate on our fraud escalation processes.
- Collaborate with other Product Managers and Product Designers execute on cross team efforts.
- Work with Product Marketing and Client Support to successfully launch new features.
- Coordinate with Sales and Customer Success to drive adoption of features and products that proactively reduce our customers’ exposure to fraud.
- Evolve and build a high performing product culture, contributing directly to our product management practices.
- And of course, catch a bunch of fraud, and make fraudsters' lives harder!
- You empathise deeply with customer problems, so you always feel a strong sense of urgency to solve them, and motivate others to solve them with you.
- You have strong communication skills and are as comfortable presenting to clients as you are in a workshop with your colleagues.
- You are a strong collaborator, thriving in an environment where multiple disciplines come together cross functionally to solve difficult and unique problems.
- You are comfortable with highly complex technology and have the ability to organise and communicate complexity in a simple way.
- You love getting involved in ambiguous and unbounded problem spaces and thrive in the structure you create.
- You are data-minded. You deeply understand how your products work and get a kick out of customer research to drive discovery and ensure the right problems are identified along with the most fitting solutions.
- Product Management is something you can talk about for ages, but you also like other things like a sport, art or maybe you're into gardening - you can talk about that other stuff for ages too.
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
- An established Product Manager with several major cycles of problem discovery, solution definition, launch and growth of software products, bonus points if you did this in a B2B context;
- Experience in asking customers the right questions, interpreting user research, analysing data, and leveraging those insights to define a product strategy;
- Experience in creating and managing a problem focused product backlog;
- Experience of product delivery in within Agile cross functional development team;
- Experience in working on Machine Learning based products or teams including a heavy component of technical Research and Development is a plus.
- Experience in Finserv, Fraud or the Identity Verification market is also plus.
Don’t tick all the boxes, but think you’d still be a good fit? Apply anyway and show us what you can do.
Where you will be:
At Onfido, we have a distributed workforce. This role will be based as advertised on the job description. We have a hybrid model, and you can choose to work fully remote, or come to our offices! We let all of our employees choose what’s best for them.
Onfidoers share a set of core values and want to hear from you if you believe in:
> Succeeding together; you work collaboratively and put the team first
> Taking pride; you care about quality, producing great work and customer / user outcomes
> Creating customer buzz; you demonstrate a strong user / customer focus
> Learning things & sharing them; you have a natural curiosity and default to sharing knowledge with others
> Finding a better way; you’re adept at finding solutions, experimentation and innovating to make things better
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
> 25 days annual leave plus a day off for your Birthday.
> Two paid volunteering days per year.*
> Bupa Private Medical and Dental Insurance*
> Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
> Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)*
> Generous paid parental leaveFree mental health coaching provided online
> Life enrichment allowance of up to £80 per month to use for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare, and therapy
> Dedicated learning opportunities including using tools like Learnably with availability to use for learning resources such as books, coaches, conferences, courses, podcasts, and more
> Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnThursday); holding quarterly team socials, and other company-wide social events
> Expense up to £300 (or local equivalent) to purchase workstation setup equipment
> The opportunity to become a member of Onfido’s resource groups in order to learn different skills in our belonging groups
*after passing probation
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page!
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.