Head of Legal
In short: Full-time position. Please only apply if you are currently residing in Europe or the US.
We are Gigs
- Gigs is for telecommunications what Stripe is for payments. We empower brands to offer their own mobile service for smartphones and wearables:
- Businesses can brand and launch their own phone plans. This allows companies to create smooth customer experiences, attract and monetize new users and unlock new revenue streams.
- Consumers can sign up and activate their SIM card or eSIM in less than 5 minutes, and easily manage their plan online.
- We are backed by Google Gradient Ventures and Y Combinator, as well as the investors behind Facebook, Dropbox, and Airbnb. As part of Gigs, you will have access to the teams, resources, and support from any company we work with. We count on a team of world-class advisors and angel investors that can help us navigate our rapid growth.
- Gigs was part of the YC W21 and YC Growth W23 batches and has recently raised a $20MM Series A.
- Structure the legal function at Gigs, from terms of services to multi-year customer contracts, you’ll build a holistic legal infrastructure across the company. To do this, you’ll work closely with the founders and leadership team to drive strategic initiatives.
- Manage Diverse Projects, you’ll review and own a range of commercial agreements, including B2B agreements, supplier contracts, business customer contracts, software contracts, and our regulatory position within telecom. This includes working with relevant subject-matter experts at the right time.
- Liaise with external counsel and subject-matter experts to sync & obtain advice on specific items, understand how these impact the Gigs ecosystem, and convey this back to the relevant internal team in a clear format.
- Build the internal corporate governance function for the Gigs group of companies.
- Set us up for future success, You’ll proactively investigate and set up smart legal structures and contracts to help us benefit as we scale. This includes navigating different contracts in the USA and EU and keeping tabs on emerging laws and regulations in the SaaS and telecom spaces. You will be the first to know when new laws that may impact Gigs.
- Improve the existing legal infrastructure at Gigs and implement consistent legal guidelines, templates, and frameworks relating to contract management.
- Being an internal advisor to the Founders on specific employment or corporate law matters.
We are seeking an exceptional Legal Counsel to be our legal team's founding member. As the first legal hire, you will drive projects across a variety of diverse business law-related matters ranging from contract assets to regulatory positioning.
Key responsibilities include:
We know that perfect candidates don’t exist. Even if not all of this applies to you, we’d love to learn more about you.
- You are a nerd about the law with a law degree from a top USA law school or have completed the states exams. You have 2+ years of experience as an in-house legal counsel in a startup or scale-up.
- You are clever and eager to become an ecosystem expert. You are eager to dig into new legal topics and areas to understand if and how they impact the Gigs ecosystem. You will gain a complete overview of our legal ecosystem and work with subject-matter experts to optimise our contractual and regulatory ecosystem.
- You are an excellent stakeholder manager with analytical and drafting skills, strong attention to detail, and a high ability to work independently on demanding legal issues and to tight deadlines. You won’t be writing or drafting our contracts, but you’ll optimally manage our external legal experts on each topic. You will become an expert at conveying Gigs business model and strategies to legal experts, so they can do their best work.
- You abstract legal complexity for a living. You innately seek to understand complicated legal matters from different angles to see how they could benefit the Gigs ecosystem. You naturally think about finding a synergistic intersection of law, regulation, and business growth within different jurisdictions. You’ve made it your mission to find smart solutions for respective legal issues and only raise the red flag when necessary.
- 21 paid vacation days per year (PTO).
- Generous stock options: We want everybody to be a true owner of Gigs (tax-free until exercised).
- Free phone and data plan
- Flexible working hours: Early riser? Night owl? Need to pick up your kids and finish up later? You can discuss and organize with your team to work out what works best for you.
- Get your perfect setup: Mac, Mechanical Keyboard, Plugins, IDE. We are flexible and cover whatever you need to do the best work of your life.
- A workplace built for remote-first work: We are building Gigs as a remote-friendly company. Take, own, and implement decisions to build Gigs from scratch. You can join us in Berlin, or work from wherever you like. If you are based in Berlin, you can work from our office or from the comfort of your home.
- Gigs Pads: Our collection of beautiful homes around the world, for when you need a work-cation getaway.
- Gigs Republic: Our semi-annual sunny offsite, a time for us to all come together for great food, lots of laughter, and leisurely activities.