Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Portugal · Remote
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2023
Onfido lets people prove their identity anytime, anywhere. We’re creating a more open digital world by connecting them to the services they love and need simply, speedily and safely – whether they’re renting a car or opening a bank account. We’re building a full-service suite of AI-powered identity verification solutions with fairness and inclusiveness at their core, and were awarded ‘Outstanding Leader in Accessibility’ and ‘Best Innovation in Algorithmic Bias Mitigation’ and ‘Best AI product in FinTech’ awards at CogX
We are a global, established, technology company having surpassed $130M in annual recurring revenue (ARR) with a prominent position in the global marketplace, and have been repeatedly recognized for our performance and innovation. In 2023, we’ve been awarded ‘Best Fraud Detection and Prevention Company of the Year by Frost & Sullivan, featured as a Strong Performer by Forrester in its 2022 Identity Verification Wave, and named to the CB Insights Fintech 250 for the fourth year running. We've received over $200 million in funding from investors such as TPG Growth, Microsoft, and Salesforce to achieve our vision. We partner with hundreds of businesses to help millions access services every week – from billion dollar institutions to hypergrowth unicorns. We support checks in 195 countries, and 2,500+ document types. With over 1,200 customers worldwide and 500 employees
Our goal is to work together to promote and celebrate an inclusive and diverse community. Collectively, all Onfidoers are committed to creating an environment where everyone can be themselves, and where differences are celebrated. We encourage people from all backgrounds and cultures to come together to solve some of the world's most interesting problems.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you'd be joining a talented and friendly team which loves to delight its customers with quality and robust code. We care about user and developer experience and we work in an agile way to regularly ship code to production.
As Onfido tackles the problem of bringing identities online, this means taking on the challenges of bringing both Biometrics and ID Documents into the virtual world. The work you could come help us solve will involve:
- Develop state-of-the-art machine learning-backed services for automated biometric verification, document classification and extraction, as well as fraud analysis;
- Build automated pipelines capable of minimising the time and effort of bringing support to new models and capabilities;
- Iterate over research projects to optimise them and deploy them to production;
- Continuously improve monitoring and tracing to provide a highly available service for our customers.
We deeply value trust and ownership. Our engineers, product managers and designers work together closely to solve a challenging problem - identity in an online world - and build products that are polished and impactful.
What you will do:
- Work in a cross-functional team to design, build, test and ship fraud-catching products.
- Work closely with researchers to take research developed ML models to production.
- Use off-the-shelf machine learning solution to provide simple initial solutions for fraud detection.
- Design and implement efficient pre-processing steps around digital images or video files
- Extend existing ML pipeline to fit an increasing array of use cases
- Analyze algorithmic performances and identify common issues and potential improvements.
- Provide technical guidance, support and advice to other engineers at Onfido
Who you are:
- Good knowledge and experience with Python
- Familiarity with scientific libraries and frameworks such as Numpy, Tensorflow, Keras, Scikit Learn, OpenCV, ONNX
- Interested in developing, deploying and monitoring production-facing machine learning systems
- You're enthusiastic and technically curious about ML technologies
- Capable with testing frameworks, such as PyTest
- Experience with dependency management tools (e.g. Poetry)
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with various different image and video file formats
- Understanding of Computer Vision and standard Machine Learning algorithms (like decision trees, neural networks, support vector machines, clustering,…)
We are technology agnostic at Onfido. We are not looking for you to have experience in all these technologies. As long as you're open to learning, please apply.-
- Backend: mostly Python and Ruby at Onfido
- Frontend: React and Typescript
- ML: Tensorflow, Jupyter, Dask
- Kubernetes and Docker for deployment
- AWS for underlying infrastructure (Aurora, Redis, Dynamo, S3, SNS, SQS, CloudFront, API Gateway, etc.)
- Gitlab for software lifecycle management.
The technologies we use most frequently in Machine Learning are Python (3.x), Git, gRPC, WANDB, async-io, Tensorflow (and tf-serving), ONNX, OpenCV, Docker and Kubernetes.
Where you will be:
At Onfido, we have a distributed workforce. This role will be based as advertised on the job description. We have a hybrid model, and you can choose to work fully remote, or come to our offices! We let all of our employees choose what’s best for them.
Onfidoers share a set of core values and want to hear from you if you believe in:
> Succeeding together; you work collaboratively and put the team first
> Taking pride; you care about quality, producing great work and customer / user outcomes
> Creating customer buzz; you demonstrate a strong user / customer focus
> Learning things & sharing them; you have a natural curiosity and default to sharing knowledge with others
> Finding a better way; you’re adept at finding solutions, experimentation and innovating to make things better
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
> 25 days annual leave plus a day off for your Birthday.
> Two paid volunteering days per year.*
> Private Medical Insurance through Allianz*
> Life Assurance (3x Annual Base Salary)*
> Generous paid parental leave
> Free mental health coaching provided online.
> Life enrichment allowance of up to €95 per month for services including gym, yoga, fitness classes, massages, childcare, and therapy
> Dedicated learning opportunities including using tools like Learnably with availability to use for learning resources such as books, coaches, conferences, courses, podcasts, and more
> Our open and transparent culture is reflected in our “Better Together” motto and we bring this to life by meeting once a week for our global weekly roundup (OnThursday); holding quarterly team socials, and other company-wide social events
> Expense up to £300 (or local equivalent) to purchase workstation setup equipment
> The opportunity to become a member of Onfido’s resource groups in order to learn different skills in our belonging groups
*after passing probation (3 months)
Check out Life at Onfido via our LinkedIn Careers Page
Onfido is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We're always on the lookout for talented, passionate people and encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.